English Language Learner Program (ELL)
The primary goal of Siuslaw School District is for every student to meet or exceed Oregon State standards and be proficient in English.
Siuslaw School District provides English Language Learner services designed to increase English language proficiency and to promote access to and increased academic progress toward state and district curriculum standards. Siuslaw School District sets goals and creates plans within the framework of the State of Oregon requirements.
The Oregon Statewide EL Strategic Plan is included as a link: ODE ELL Plan
Program Goals Overall:
- Increase students' English language proficiency.
- Increase students' academic achievement in core academic subjects.
- Provide ELD curriculum designed to support content-area instruction and advance students' progress toward benchmarks and meeting the district objectives and goals that all students are expected to meet.
- Ensure that ELD students graduate high school at a rate equal to other students.
- Provide ongoing staff development and training opportunities that will enhance teachers' understanding of second language acquisition and teaching techniques proven beneficial to English Language Learners.
- Ensure meaningful participation in District’s educational program for all ELD students.
- Assist schools with concerns that may negatively affect student achievement.
- Facilitate parent involvement in the schools and in the education of their children.
- Continually monitor and reevaluate administration of ELD Program and services to ensure that students are receiving the best model of service delivery possible.