Siuslaw School District is joining 196 other school districts, 19 education service district boards, and 17 community college boards throughout Oregon to celebrate January as "School Board Recognition Month." Celebrating School Board Recognition Month is one way to say thanks for all they do.
These dedicated local leaders give their personal time and energy to handling the critical task of budgeting and overseeing the management of Oregon's public education structure. Our board chair is Bob Sneddon, our vice chair is Maureen Miltenberger. Our directors are Frank Armendariz, John Barnett, Brian Lacouture, Dianna Pimlott, and Kady Sneddon. Our student representatives to the school board are Tiffany Rasmussen and Riley Olson.
The school board’s main goal is to support student achievement, and to achieve that goal, the board focuses on the following needs:
- Creating a vision for what parents and citizens want their school district to become and how to make student achievement the top priority.
- Setting standards for what students must learn and be able to do.
- Assessing whether schools achieve their goals, and whether students are learning.
- Accounting for the outcomes of decisions and by tracking progress and reporting results
- Aligning the use of the district’s human and financial resources.
- Creating a safe and orderly climate where students can learn and teachers can teach.
- Collaborating to solve common problems and to support common successes.
- Focusing on continuous improvement by questioning, examining, revising, refining and revisiting issues related to student achievement.
Even though Siuslaw School District is making a special effort during January to show appreciation for our school board members and our student representatives to the school board, we recognize their contributions reflect a year-round effort on their part. They are dedicated individuals who are committed to improving student achievement and to fighting for the best for all of our students.